It is a core belief of ours that the enormous resources of hydrocarbons locked up in oil shale should only be developed in a socially and environmentally responsible way. The Directors believe that technological advances in Oil Shale extraction, and in the ecological management of mining sites, will allow these resources to become a significant part of the global energy mix with project dynamics which support the highest level of environmental management. In particular, mining and production operations in Utah will be conducted under the ever-increasing scrutiny of both State and Federal regulators, as well as a number of environmental special interest groups, and it is the clear responsibility of ground-breaking producers such as TomCo to meet the highest standards of Corporate Responsibility.
The Company will therefore:
- Conduct all our operations to the highest technical, engineering and safety standards.
- Meet or surpass environmental standards set out in all applicable local, national or international regulations regarding air emissions, surface disturbance and contamination, groundwater etc.
- Minimise the footprint left by mining or production operations; design-in site reclamation and restoration, such that the land surface can be left in a condition close to the way it was found.
- Consult with local communities on development planning.
- Support local communities and community organisations in a meaningful and effective way.
- A good overview of the environmental context of oil shale development in the US mountain states is given by ECCOS (Environmentally Conscious Consumers for Oil Shale) at www.eccos.us.